Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Holy Grail?


Is Metropolis finally complete? Ain't It Cool says yes.

Count me among the thousands who'll be buying a ticket to see this one--in the theatre, as God and/or Lang intended--when it arrives in Toronto. Metropolis is the world's most famous silent film, and deservedly so. Not only has it inspired thousands of filmmakers, it's also been the first step to silent film-fandom for hundreds of thousands of cinema lovers, myself included. Love it or hate it (and it does inspire its own brand of passionate haters), Metropolis remains a uniquely accessible silent film. I can't wait to see what I've been missing.

For a story about how I first discovered Metropolis (and by extention, the very subject of this blog), click here.

2 comments:

  1. This discovery makes me wonder what other clips are waiting to be discovered. It almost makes me nervous to think of something great rotting away in an attic somewhere--needing to be found and saved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a book to be written about these sorts of finds. My favourite story is the one about The Passion of Joan of Arc. A complete copy was thought lost, until someone found one hidden in a closet, in a Norwegian mental institution. You can't make this stuff up.

    ReplyDelete